Our Climate is changing rapidly and global warming has become a significant issue as it is causing adverse effect on our health. The consequences of global warming will continue and even intensify over the years to come unless checked. High intensity Storm and tornados are devastating are lives.
Have a Look at the Global Worming Trend
Acknowledgement: Our World in Data
CO2 popularly known as Greenhouse Gas is one of the main reasons for climactic change and global warming. We are releasing carbon to the air in a much greater proportion in last few decades compared to earlier decades. Exploration of fossil fuel has changed the course of our lives, accelerated the pace of growth, positively brought about national and individual prosperity and has no doubt raised to quality of life and standard of living. However there is a cost, a huge cost and impact on our environment and planet earth which is causing serious health concerns. We cannot stop the pace of growth and development, at the same time we need to make a judicious balance. There must be an approach to sustainable production and usage of natural resources that is pragmatic and brings the adverse effects to an “As low As Reasonable Practicable “(ALARP) level.
ISO 14001 is a standard introduced by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and is one of the most popular standard on environmental management system. The core focus of this standard is development of a documented management system with determination of Significant Environmental Aspects from operation with profound impact on our environment with a view to implement control measures to reduce their impacts on our planet earth and our lives.
ISO 14001 requires the top Management set EMS Policy-Environmental objectives and plan to achieve objectives and goals which can be audited objectively, for assessing whether, organizational policies and objectives towards our environment are being achieved. This needs management commitment and role in developing policies , processes and procedures. An essential element is compliance to statutory regulation, laws and international treaties and conventions.
ISO 50001 is international standard for Energy Management System. The core focus is Significant Energy Consumption-and reduce to ALARP level. This saves energy consumption-cost and positively influence our environment.
In fact, there is strong connection and correspondence with both the standards, essential intent is, there is an effective management system to manage energy which in turn would ensure environmental sustainability. Therefore assessors. energy auditors , organizations and nations have great role to play.
Our family essentially is an organization -we can apply ISO 14001 in its entirety -so is ISO 50001.Besides responsible care-it would take care of y/our wallet-it would reduce y/our electricity bills for sure!
At a micro level we can do a lot toward an environment friendly living, reduce our carbon footprint and adopt the principles of the standards in our own life to reduce impact on our environment. This will help us live in good health and also save money. Each small steps would count and demonstrate our positive commitment and duty of care for our planet .We must leave a better planet for our generations to come. Some of the easily doable EMS Objective could be. An Young Poet from Bengal-Sukanta Bhattacharya who died just in 21 wrote in one of his poem even though in a different context-a literal translation in English would sound like-“I will make this planet before I go, worthy of living -this solemn pledge I would like to make to a New Born.
1. Reduce Water Wastage-We started using mugs -fill it -use it as much as needed. Rest can be used for other purpose-cooking-cleaning and plantation. I have measured washing hands and face on running water cost 90% of water flowing direct to the drain-what a colossal wastage of clean potable water -made drop by drop from Sea water by burning fossil fuel -condensating – storing in tank -processing and pumping though pipelines to out taps -to go to drain? All taps changed to prevent leakage-we indeed stopped taking shower in bathtubs which cost 200 L every shower- we just need 10 Liters Max with a nice telephone shower. 95% saving
2. Set Air Conditioners at 24 deg C. Very Comfortable and healthful .Even 26 deg C in Kuwait I found is very comfortable. 1 deg C increase in AC temperature setting can save potentially 5-6% of electricity Consumption. Japan’s default temp is set at 28 Deg C. It is possible to calculate from base line data how many Billion Units of electrical consumption we can save collectively in a country like Kuwait and India . Kuwait depends so much on-Air conditioners for its extreme climate which goes even above 50 deg C
3. Changes all Electrical Bulbs to LED-very soothing -and soft light-environment friendly and consumes much less of energy
4. Switch of off all electrical bulbs, appliances and ACs when not needed -use day light and natural light as much as possible.
5. Reduce wastage of any kind. Food in particular- We introduced a Zero Food Waste policy at home-plates should look like semi cleaned after the food is consumed ! Wastage I consider is an irresponsible crime when millions of people in the world are deprived of a square meal and access to clean drinking water.
6. Plant Trees and small indoor plant at home-10th January is celebrated as House Plant Appreciation day. This brings such a wonderful , psychologically and emotionally positive and healthful environment and donate Plants as Gifts. 10th January is celebrates as House Plant Appreciation day worldwide.
These simple and easy to implement environmental objectives at every home can have profound collective impact on our national energy demand and our environment.
7.Reduce use of Plastics-Reuse as much as possible-dispose responsibly.Use Biodegradable Preferably
Can we not take these simple steps today ? Now?
About Eng. M S Ray
Graduated from Calcutta University in 1985 with Mechanical Engineering. International exposure to corporate management and multi-discipline technical expertise in Automotive, Heavy engineering, Projects, Oil & Gas Onshore and offshore industry.
Managing TCB Cert. Worldwide LLC, a CQI/IRCA, UK . IACET USA, NEBOSH UK and GAC-ME Accredited organization offering Quality, OH&S and Environmental Management auditor Programs , Management system Certifications and worldwide Quality verification and independent third party inspection and certification services. A Lead Trainer and CQI/IRCA registered Principal/Lead auditor for Quality (ISO 9001), OH&S (ISO 45001) and Environmental management system (ISO 14001). Assessor of Food Safety management (ISO 22000) and Laboratory competence (ISO 17025).